Thursday, July 25, 2013

About the Cover



The map artwork on the cover of The Global Pastry Table is a piece of wrapping paper I had tucked away in a drawer for many years.   I love the special beauty of antique renderings of maps and the colorful imagery of this paper really struck me as particularly beautiful.    

As I began writing this cookbook and it started to take form in the real world, I was really stumped about what to do for a cover.  I was having a hard time visualizing how to choose an image that would convey the idea of the global kitchen that I thought signified the feel of the book.  Then, out of the blue, I started thinking about that piece of paper that I’d saved for so long.  So I pulled it out to see if I could find some inspiration for my cover.  Just for fun, I started photographing a few very simple set-ups using the paper itself.  For me, the result resonated with the spirit of the book.

The maker of this paper is Bomo Art in Budapest, Hungary.  When I contacted them to ask for permission to use their work for my cover, they were tremendously gracious and kind in their agreement.  They wished me good health and good luck in my endeavors and I am very grateful to them. 

Bomo Art makes beautiful paper goods, gorgeous journals, recipe notebooks, pens and all sorts of unique stationary.  Visit their online shop to see the full range of stunning products they produce.  
Bomo Art video about their products
Bomo Art also has a fun page on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment